Film Trainee Finder 2023-24
ScreenSkills Trainee Finder 2023-24 is now open for applications.
What is Film Trainee Finder?
Film Trainee Finder is an entry-level placement programme that places trainees on film productions to ensure a continued supply of talent, capable of making world-class creative content. Participants become part of an industry-recognised group of trainees and receive exclusive access to training placements across the UK. In addition to the paid placements, they are trained in health and safety, finance for freelancers, carbon literacy, branding and networking. They go to industry masterclasses to improve employability and have the opportunity to find a mentor.
In previous years trainees have been placed on films including The Batman, Matilda, Jurassic World Dominion, No Time to Die, The Railway Children Return, Mothering Sunday, The Son, Tuesday, The Lost King, Pretty Red Dress, Persuasion, Boys in the Boat, The Eternal Daughter, Benediction, Everybody's Talking About Jamie, Dungeons and Dragons, Ali & Ava, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, After Love, Empire of Light and MEN.
Film Trainee Finder is looking for trainees keen to pursue a career in film in the following departments and job roles:
- art department
- assistant director
- hair and make-up
- production accounts
- production office
- sound (location)
- video assist and dit
To find out more about each job role, please explore the ScreenSkills job profiles. For more information on what it is like to be part of the programme, and to hear from trainees past and present, watch our webinar.
Applicants are invited to apply to either film or high-end TV (HETV) - which includes both HETV and children's TV placements - please note you cannot apply to both film and HETV. If you are interested in applying for the high-end TV Trainee Finder click here.
ScreenSkills is committed to diversity and equality of opportunity in all aspects of its work. We particularly welcome applications from under-represented groups, because we are committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workforce. If you are D/deaf or disabled and require an alternative format of the application form, require reasonable adjustments at the interview stage, or have any questions about Trainee Finder, please contact email@example.com.
Who it's for
We are looking for talented individuals from across the UK who have less than 12 months of paid experience in their chosen department.
You must be able to clearly demonstrate a passion and commitment for your job role of choice by providing evidence of one or more of the following:
- working on set
- looking for / finding paid or unpaid work experience
- department specific skills
- suitable transferable skills for your selected department
We welcome applications from individuals who have attended ScreenSkills-funded boot camps and events such as Open Doors, and from those who have graduated from ScreenSkills-endorsed courses or from partner schemes such as the BFI Film Academy residential and specialist courses.
- Be over 18 years old
- Live in the UK and have evidence of the right to work in the UK
- Have completed full-time education by 31 March, 2023 – please note you do not need a university degree to apply
- Have less than 12 months, of relevant, paid experience in their chosen department and genre
- Make themselves available for placements offered to them, during their time on the scheme
- Be open and flexible to considering opportunities across the UK
- Demonstrate an interest in and commitment to their chosen department.
- We welcome applicants who may have transferable skills, for example, from other creative sectors such as theatre, music, photography, and commercial production, or from roles in other sectors such as business administration, event management, or make-up and hair applicants with salon experience
- Any training will be subject to the applicants providing evidence of their right to remain in the UK
- All successful applicants must attend a mandatory three-day induction event, currently scheduled for Friday 10, Saturday 11, and Sunday 12 March, 2023 in preparation for the scheme
How to apply
You will need a ScreenSkills account to apply to Trainee Finder. If you do not already have an account, you can register here.
To apply for Film Trainee Finder, click on the 'apply' button above – please note you cannot apply for both the film and high-end TV branches of the scheme. If you are interested in applying for the high-end TV Trainee Finder click here.
If you require an alternative format for the application please contact us as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close at 23:59 on Monday 28 November, 2022
The Trainee Finder team will shortlist applicants based on their application, ScreenSkills profile and CV. Successful applicants will be invited to take part in an interview, either face-to-face or online, with a member of the Trainee Finder team and a relevant industry professional.
If unsuccessful in getting to the interview stage, please note that due to the volume of applications we receive, we will be unable to provide individual feedback.
We anticipate that all candidates who will be asked to attend an interview will be notified by Friday 13 January, 2023. All candidates who have attended an interview will be notified of the success of their application by Friday 24 February, 2023. Successful candidates would be required to attend a Film Trainee Finder induction weekend, currently scheduled for Friday 10, Saturday 11, and Sunday 12 March, 2023.
If you are called to interview, you must supply two written references. Along with your written references, you must include the current contact details of your referees should we need to contact them.
References can come from current and past employers, colleagues and/or a tutor or mentor.
They should be no longer than one page of A4 and should include the following:
- A paragraph or sentence that explains how they know you e.g., are they a colleague, employer or former employer?
- Details of how long the referee has known you
- Having looked at the trainee role that you are applying for, what are the qualities, characteristics, and capabilities they feel are important to highlight to us?
- Any other supporting examples of your skills, accomplishments and/or work that demonstrate that you are a good candidate for the scheme
- Current contact details (email and telephone) for the referee so that we can contact them.